Tuesday 3 July 2012

Yoga - my goodness!

Today I took my first ever yoga class - 90 minutes of "Hatha", if that means something to you experienced yoga folk out there. No pictures - absolutely not! but you can check out where I took it at http://www.taigayoga.com/Taiga_Yoga/index.html . Taiga Yoga is the brainchild and baby of Judith McNichol - when I went to check it out around 1:00 this afternoon, she's the one who showed me the facilities, gave me a brief orientation, advised on clothing and equipment. Judith has the loveliest Scottish accent and has built a most attractive and popular yoga centre - apparently a second studio room, allowing for parallel classes, is opening in a few days.

Of course I had to acquire some proper pants, which I didn't own - and unfortunately the clothing store I know best, FWO (For Women Only) was closed for renovations. After my iced latte at Javaroma, I decided to try Chez Patricia, where I hadn't yet been - it's on my way home (all this walking, of course). A helpful East Indian woman was running the place, and soon I was equipped with a most comfortable, and most reasonably priced, set of leggings. Who knew they could be so comfortable. All set for the 5:40 to 6:50 class!

Well, I won't describe the yoga itself - it's one of those things that must be experienced first hand. Suffice it to say that the 90 minutes flew by. And in the class were two people whom I had met in other situations. I like that about Yellowknife.

By the way, my Calgary friend John Humphrey sent me a link to an essay by Fia Jampolsky in today's Globe and Mail, entitled "Yes, I do feel at home in the far (far) north." While Jampolsky is talking about Whitehorse, it does very much capture my experience so far, here. Very much worth a read.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/facts-and-arguments/yes-i-do-feel-at-home-in-the-far-far-north/article4385140/

No comments:

Post a Comment