Tuesday 4 September 2012

Aurora Chorealis

Choir - the first practice of the Aurora Chorealis this evening, 7 to 9:30, all business though lots of fun in the business. Aurora Chorealis is the non-auditioned community choir of the Yellowknife Choral Society, "the parent" group of about 60 to 70 voices - out of it is distilled the Yellowknife Chamber Choir. For youngsters there is the Fireweed Children's Chorus and the Yellowknife Boy's Choir. The Yellowknife Choral Society has an excellent website with lots of information and pictures of past performances: Yellowknife Choral Society.

I haven't been in a choir since my very early 20s, but from what I experienced this evening, this is going to be an excellent experience. Everyone is there to sing - no idle chit-chat or lack of attention to the two directors, Margot Nightengale and Carmen Braden. And many of the members know how to sing - while the music challenges, enough of the group "gets" it sufficiently quickly that a good sound emerges after just a few runs through a section of a piece, sometimes already on the first try.

Weekly practices are held in Calvary Community Church, a 15 minute walk from my building, on the other end of downtown. Some of the altos (turns out I'm an alto 1, with a higher range than I expected) live quite near me, so starting next week I'll be able to participate in some car pooling. Still, I like the walk there and hope to do it even in the winter.

Another fun activity. When you sing, you really don't think of anything else. Stay tuned for concert information - Remembrance Day and Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment