Thursday 31 January 2013

Ice Fog

This past Tuesday, even by noon, the temperature had reached only -41. This causes ice fog - the weather on my phone made the noise of tinkling ice crystals when I checked to see if had warmed up any - of which I have a marvellous view from my apartment window. Needless to say, indoor recess for the kids across the street pretty well all week!

It can get a little scary if you're driving the ice road in ice fog in the dark, as my sister did to get to work. The road takes a sharp turn when it reaches Dettah - apparently ice roads always begin and end with turns, so that waves generated by entering cars do not run the length of the road - but also continues on 10 kms or so to the fish plant. Not that it wouldn't have been possible to turn around and go back, but the lack of orientation when the whole world is white (and dark at the same time) can be disconcerting. She found the turn safely, I'm glad to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment