Saturday 9 March 2013

Puppet Costumes for the Snow Castle

A little "sewing gig" this past week was creating costumes for four puppets which "Mr. Freeze's Royal Puppetorium" needs for a Snow Castle production on Sunday March 17 and 24. More on the Snow Castle in a future entry - it's one of those unique Yellowknife events that one has to experience to believe. As a sneak preview, however, here is a picture of the castle in the very late afternoon about a month ago:


"Mr. Freeze" is Stefan, an Old Towner and now friend I met through my sister. He asked, and I foolishly agreed, to try to make some puppets look like Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, and Elvis, for his "Rock'n Roll Snowking" show. Of course Elvis was a concept (though: what did he usually wear???), but I'll show my ignorance by confessing I had to look the others up - thank goodness for YouTube!

The process was the usual: from chaos to order (and yes, those St Pat's Joseph costume pictures are coming - patience patience!), so my dining table once again looked like this:


I'll take a stab on identities and suggest that the order of the puppets below are Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and Bill Haley, in that order (obviously Stefan will have to do things with their hair, and add glasses):



And, finally, Elvis. He's basically done but not completely, for the belt needs to be adjusted. However, I just gave Stefan a piece of extra fabric and said: do what you think needs to be done! (I being kind of tired of costumes by this point):

I did have to make a flesh-coloured bodysuit for Elvis, since the puppets came with boldly striped stocking bodies and those show through white. Kinda cool that he came with "blue suede shoes", though!

No comments:

Post a Comment