Sunday 20 September 2015

When in danger, when in doubt...

"When in danger
when in doubt
run in circles,
scream and shout!"

This little rhyme came to me - and amused my fellow students - when I ran into a snag with my lace trim.

Unnoticed by me, the shop sold me the trim in two pieces stapled together. One piece was about 20", the other almost 10 yards. Oh well, I thought, looking at them: I can use the small piece for the sleeves...


It also seemed logical to use the small piece to work out the velvet scallops on the gown's trim band, over which the gold lace was then to go...

You can see where this is going - yup! after I had done all the careful measuring, pattern making, cutting, adhering, trimming, and went to apply the five yards of gold lace, to my dismay I discovered that actually the weave of the short piece, and of the longer one, was not identical:

Top: shorter piece; bottom: longer piece

Darn double darn!!! Fortunately the weave of the short piece was just a bit smaller (rather than larger), so it became a matter of working the extra onto the just-a-bit-too-small pattern already laid out. Not what I had intended, but as our guest tutor Rose had wisely said: costume making is problem solving.

Now the gold lace stands out a bit (in a 3-D way) - "design choice"!

No comments:

Post a Comment