Saturday 13 October 2012

COSY goes to the Movies

COSY - Classics on Stage Yellowknife - is a group of musically talented individuals who have organized to profile "the classics", very loosely understood: see the wide eclecticism of past programs at  COSY Website: Past Events. Tonight was a concert dedicated to performers' favorite movie songs and music - and just delightful it was.

For me the haunting theme from Schindler's List, played by violinist Barbara Fortin Clinton, was the highlight, but it was hard to choose a favorite: a few other numbers were "Evenstar" from Lord of the Rings, "Moon River" from Breakfast at Tiffany's, "That's Amore" from Moonstruck, the theme song from The Addams Family, even the Cantina Band from Star Wars Episode IV. Clearly band members had great fun finding and wearing appropriate costumes for all the different numbers - the audience hooted appreciatively when they all appeared in their Star Trek: The Next Generation uniforms. The concert was ably hosted by raconteurs and brothers Roy and Merlyn Williams, obvious favorites with the audience, which did its share of participation when warranted.

I'm fortunate to live so close to NACC (The Northern Arts and Cultural Centre) where the concert was held - a mere hop and a skip through the snow and I'm there. I had decided already before I moved that I would avail myself of the advantages of this proximity by attending as many events as possible. In a (good) way that's a reversion to my U of A student days when I lived next to the Jubilee Auditorium in Edmonton.

I do, very much, enjoy the home-made entertainment that plays such a significant role in Yellowknife cultural life. It's of excellent quality, and whatever it might lack in flawless professionalism it more than makes up for in the warmth of community connection. In a way it's like one of those legendary large Maritime kitchen parties, where everyone who can, does make music, while all the rest appreciate and enjoy. I really really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment