Tuesday 2 October 2012

Other "Arts Stuff" in Yellowknife (second installment)

In loose conjunction with the Aurora Arts Society Arts Week, the Yellowknife Quilt Guild put on its annual show. I've mentioned the Quilt Guild before, back in June when I attended my first meeting. But the quilts that emerged for the show - stunning work of the widest variety. There were 60 finished pieces, and a number of WIPs (in quilters'/sewers' lingo usually called UFOs or Unfinished Objects - everyone has a few of those).

A few samples of the many magnificent pieces, here some large and medium ones with a detail from the one:






Smaller pieces were also welcome, as this sample shows (I cheated a bit and entered the jacket I had made in 2009, the only jacket in the show):



Hazel Wainright has the rights to make and sell Yellowknifer Janet Pacey's designs (the first small quilt below: see Janet's website at Janet Pacey), and does stellar work with Barbara Lavallee's patterns (second quilt: Lavallee is based in Anchorage and does wonderful children's book illustrations: Sample web info on Barbara Lavallee). In her third little quilt, Hazel took on the challenge of making a quilt without any green - much harder than she had supposed, she says, as most fabric has some green! Hazel is teaching the beginning quilting class my sister Trudy is taking and has spawned quite a number of quilters in town.




After the show I helped with take-down (as I had helped with set-up eight days earlier, reminding myself once again how much I enjoy working on common projects with competent people). In an hour we were done, after which I was part of a small four-person "committee" charged with counting the "Viewer's Choice" ballots. We repaired to my apartment for that task - Donna, Brenda, Hazel, myself - and spent an enjoyable hour counting and chatting. Fibre-women can be such neat people!

No comments:

Post a Comment