Sunday 9 August 2015

Trim and the Virtue of Repetition

This will be a short post - extolling the virtue of repetition. As a home sewer I would acquire a skill - I think the right word would be "briefly": just for the project which should have been done yesterday, then left languishing to be relearned the next time it was required, possibly several years down the road.

In the course - none of that! it's a serious "go big or go home" sewing situation. You don't just learn to add trim, you add trim to 18 trunk-hose panes on both sides, for a total of some 18 meters:


You don't just make piping, you make 10 meters while you're at it, AND apply it to tricky collar corners in an act of reckless bravery:




And note the gold (of which around 4 yards are sewn on the doublet): the remaining yard I took apart - gimp unravels surprisingly easily - to give me the 188" of gold cord I sewed on to the edge of my ruff... (by machine, by machine!)



I'm learning. I'm learning A LOT. And part of the learning is the luxury of serious repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment