Friday 8 June 2012

Coffee in the afternoon - an important ritual not to be neglected, especially when one is in major transition. So I just made and enjoyed my very first afternoon coffee in my new apartment - sat in one of the several "sit and reflect" pods that I'm in the process of setting up - and it felt very very good.

Thursday - this past Thursday - was move-in day. The fellows from Matco showed up promptly at 8:30 as agreed, they were done just before 3:30. Nice guys, obliging and conscientious, not to mention strong. Very few hiccups - a scratch here and there, probably the worst was that some water had gotten into "the cube" en route, but fortunately there was very little damage, and of that even less to things that really mattered.

The only glitsch in putting pieces where I really wanted them was that the truly massive sewing table I had bought just before I left Calgary was seemingly too big to be put into the room which I'm setting up as my fabric arts studio (my, that sounds pretentious). Despite valiant efforts by the moving guys, who took it on as a personal challenge, it was a "no go." However, the sewing table hadn't counted on the determination and ingenuity of my brother-in-law Bill - in the evening we tackled it again, and between us decided that a) taking the top off (saving 1.75"), b) taking one set of wheels off (saving another 2"), and c) removing the bathroom door opposite to enable some sophisticated "back-up and tilt" manoeuvres might just do the trick. And so it did - the table is now in the designated room. We will need to remember how we got it in there, should I need to take it out; as Willem commented, "disassemble table, disassemble apartment" should do the trick.

Meanwhile, my sister Trudy and her friend Sue tackled unpacking boxes for the kitchen, and much of that area is now set up. It's wonderful to have that kind of support!

The view from my apartment is lovely - in the 180 degree arc there's a bit of Old Town and Back Bay, a school and school yard, the newest community garden (there are 3), downtown, and in the distant horizon a line that is Great Slave Lake. I thought I had gotten some pics from Rosalie - but if there were downloaded, I can't find them! Pictures next time.

Back to unpacking.

2 comments:

  1. That's better, Minnie! Now I can comment without having a flippin' account of one sort or another. Golly, I had no idea Gretchen's sewing table was so big. Thank goodness you managed to get it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for monitoring this, Alane, and telling me how to do it. Yes, Gretchen's table is huge. Willem and I had quite a time getting it home (we couldn't put the tailgate of the Durango down, it was raining and rush hour on Crowchild), but where there's a will...

    ReplyDelete