Thursday 14 June 2012

Yellowknife Quilters Guild - my goodness, am I going to enjoy these women!

Tonight was the AGM of the Yellowknife Quilters Guild, one of the world's most northern quilt guilds (check them out at http://www.ykquiltersguild.ca/). I walked up with Donna MacDonald, who just happens to live in my building, who just happens to be the organizer for the out-of-town instructors and with whom I therefore had already been emailing about next week's workshop, and who just happens to have made the quilt that my sister bought for me at the Guild Christmas Sale back in 2008!

Synchronicity again.


One part of any gathering is "show and tell" - and were there quilts to show and tell! Collaboration with one of the grade schools, Weledeh right by my building, had produced six beautiful pieces, made by children under 13 (some in grades 3 and 4), which will be donated to the Alison MacAteer House, Yellowknife's shelter for women fleeing family violence. The picture below shows one of the quilts in detail - I love the impression of randomness resulting from the un-square squares!


Two other women had made very different but stunning quilts. One displayed her sense of humor in the quilt for her soon-to-be born grandson, stressing, as she unfolded it, that her grandson's parents were Democrats! (check out the block in the very top left corner... in case you can't make it out, I took a close-up).



The other had done exquisite hand work on a quilt that took her two years - the detail of the flowers is truly stunning. I've included a close-up of the bleeding hearts that are in the bottom row, centre block. Hand stitched! amazing!


Donna is a dyeing enthusiast; the first person to whom she introduced me, Pat, is a felting enthusiast. I am going to learn lots and lots and lots, I can tell that already. 

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous work! I love the flower one.

    ReplyDelete