Sunday 17 June 2012

More Fibre-Arts Inspiration

This afternoon the Prince of Wales Museum hosted local artists to show off their skills, so it gave me an opportunity to expand my knowledge of what's happening in the arts scene in Yellowknife. In the process I re-met some recent quilt guild acquaintances and met some new folk as well.

From the quilt guild there was Pat the Felter, making the most delightful sea creatures. With Donna and Hazel, whom I had also met on Thursday, we had an inspirational chat exchanging ideas and techniques and wondering "how do you do that!?:" and oohing about "so that's how you do that!" Turns out we know some of the same teachers, our beloved Lynn Pflueger among them. So much to learn, so many people to learn from!

That's Pat doing the felting; to her right is Donna, and Hazel has her back to the camera.

At the next table was Janet Procure, of Tangletree Gallery (and Fibre Art Studio: check it all out at http://www.tangletreegallery.com/). Janet was dyeing silk, but she also paints and felts and does other cool stuff (snow dyeing?). Turns out I had connected with her already: she M-Ced the Fascinator Show this past Tuesday in which I participated! But even more fun - she's been wanting to get together a fashion show in the fall of fashion made - not just sold but made - right here in Yellowknife. Of course that was right up my alley, and I will be exploring possibilities with her in the near future. What fun!

There's Pat demonstrating silk dyeing to some interested children, with samples of her work in the background and on the left (very small), a sign advertising Tangletree.

1 comment:

  1. I might venture to say, Minnie....you are in your element!

    ReplyDelete